Friday, September 14, 2012

Earning My Ears

Wow. These past two weeks have been an absolute whirlwind. During my six days of training I had to memorize a 40 page script, three different shows each with different shift points, then all of the land positions. And then I had to work closing shifts for the next five days, fun, but exhausting. And in the middle of my training, we got a new roommate!

Her name is Kelly and she is actually from Georgia, only an hour away from where I am from, so we actually have a lot in common. She works at Studios at Sunset Boulevard Merchandise (she gets a really cute costume.) I'm kinda jealous, actually. She's wonderful and I really like her. :)

After the stress of my assessment day, I've officially "earned my ears" and I've been on my own, which I like quite a bit. Even though my trainer was pretty much the coolest and nicest person I've ever met, I felt a lot less stress without someone there watching me. I've only been doing "B" shows lately, but I've had mostly closing shifts. I closed a vehicle twice, which was a lot easier than I thought it would be, and I closed a land position once. Land positions are front usher, who greets the guests as they walk in; head usher,who helps the wheelchair parties and is in charge of the queue; assistant director, who loads the vehicles and sends them off; and casting director, who opens the doors and decides when to load the vehicles.

I'm pretty sure my favorite position is Front Usher, because I get to greet guests and talk to them, give out stickers to princesses and pirates, and just have fun in general. The shows are fun too, but I'm still trying to find the balance between performing the show and interacting with the guests. It's quite difficult for me, but maybe the more comfortable I get with the shows themselves, the more I'll be able to time my interactions.

I had two days off, Saturday I mainly spent the whole day doing chores. I went to Walmart with Kelly and then we FINALLY got Chinese food. (which I have been craving for WEEKS now) Alex came home and we went to Studios for an hour before it closed where we got to ride Rockin' Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, and then I got to ride Toy Story Mania for the first time ever, because the wait was less than 15 minutes. To top everything off, as soon as we got off the ride, we were able to get on it AGAIN before the park closed at 9. The first time I rode the ride, I got the highest score in the entire car at 154,400 points! (The second time I only got 144,200 points.)

I got a new sketchbook with Mickey on it (and two pencils), and I've pretty much decided everything that I want for Christmas with my Christmas discounts. I have yet to go to Company D (which is a Cast Member only store.) But, I'm excited!

1 comment:

  1. (I'm just gonna throw it out there that it made me smile that your picture has me in it. ^_^)

    ReplyDelete